While there may be plenty of options for the general public to keep occupied during these uncertain times, not all are designed for people with disability in mind.
We have sourced a selection of accessible options to keep you and your family entertained during isolation. Ranging from online games to health and well-being programs most of these are free resources and can be accessed online.
If you need someone to assist with participating in these types of activities, ONCALL has support workers available now and we can organise this quickly. For any enquiries or new service requests, please call us on 9896 2468 or email email@example.com
- Special needs games online– This site is adapted for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who are using the computer as a source of fun activities, entertainment, leisure and learning. The site provides links to sites that was carefully collected worldwide leading in the field of computer games and activities for people with special needs.
- Blind Gamers Games– An alteration of classic games developed for people with vision impairments.
- A blind Legend– An audio-only adventure/ action game based on an innovative technology called Binaural sound where players are guided only by 3D sound and live the adventure by controlling their hero with simple multi-point tactile gestures.
- Vision Australia games– The Vision Australia website provides a wide range of games suitable for those with vision impairments such as Braille Uno, Tactile Chess and Large Print Sudoku.
Arts and crafts
- Marble painting– A simple craft activity involving household objects.
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems A short drawing class series run by a talented and eccentric artist!
- Online colour in pictures– The Colour.com offer a range of free online colour in pictures for children. All pictures are also printable!
- Fave Crafts selection of craft activities– a blog full of activites tailored toward adults with physical and mental disabilities.
- Make a Paper Mache bowl
- Make a Paper Mache clown fish
- Make woolen PomPoms
- Art Lessons Online– browse through the free art lessons and get started on becoming a better artist.
- Play School Art Maker– an interactive iPad app allowing children in to the world of Play School like never before!
- Build a terrarium
- Press Leaves
- Museums, Theme Parks and Zoos– A selection of Museums, Theme Parks and Zoos from around the world sharing free footage of their facilities.
- Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium– live streaming feeding sessions every second day on their Facebook page.
- Zoos Victoria has introduced Animal House a live streaming platform to watch animals at Healesville Sanctuary and the Melbourne Zoo.
- San Diego Zoo– Live streaming your favourite animals!
- International Landmarks, Theatre and Film
- National Gallery of Victoria
Music and theatre
- Melbourne Symphony Orchestra– The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra will broadcast a performance via their Youtube channel every Thursday at 7:30pm and every Sunday at 3pm.
- Together At Home– Global Citizens in partnership with the World Health Organisation created a virtual concert series for everyone to enjoy from home. Artists include Bastille, Evanescence and Miguel.
- Classical music concerts– A selection of live streams and archives of concerts from around the world.
- Free music concerts– Stingray Qello is providing a library of free full length concerts for everyone to enjoy from home!
- Disney Music– Listen to soundtracks, songs and film clips from hundred of Disney Movies.
- The Sydney Opera House– free digital program of concerts, talks and podcasts.
- Royal Opera House– Watch free live streams of ballet performances.
- The National Theatre– The National Theatre in the UK will release a play each week on YouTube, where it will be available for 7 days.
- The Shows Must Go On– Andrew Lloyd Webber has made a selection of his musical theatre shows free to watch. The shows are streamed on The Shows Must Go On YouTube channel and only available for 48 hours.
- The NDS’s NDIS Sector Development Podcast provides expert advice on NDIS and disability sector topics. Episodes ranging from 5 minutes to 1 hour.
- Inform Podcast delivers monthly conversations for people with disabilities, featuring people with disabilities. Inform Podcast provides advice on all the big topics, from finding work to changing careers, relationships, moving house, dating, playing sport, finding a hobby, caring for pets, navigating the NDIS and more.
- Valid Podcast
- Fatherly– A selection of Podcasts for kids and adults to listen to together ranging from folktales to science facts!
- Audible– Free audio books covering education, entertainment and general interest available in 6 different languages!
Meditation and health
- Chopra Centre Meditation– Free meditation guide created by Author Deepak Chopra
- 5 free midfullness apps– To help you combat anxiety, sleep better, hone your focus, and more
- 7 best mental health apps 2020– A selection of health and well-being apps to download on your tablet or smart phone.
- Sprout– A home-based fitness app developed by the Special Olympics Australia.